For more legal information, visit the CLEO website and Steps to Justice

If you need help to pay for a lawyer

If you cannot afford to pay a lawyer, you may be able to get help from Legal Aid Ontario (LAO). Claimants who qualify can get a legal aid certificate to hire a lawyer to help complete the Basis of Claim form.

There are limits to the amounts that LAO will pay. In some cases, a lawyer can ask LAO to pay more but they will often refuse.

Legal Aid Ontario offers lists of lawyers who accept legal aid certificates. You can search for refugee lawyers by location and language.

Category: Before your hearing

← If you need help to pay for a lawyer